Friday, October 4, 2013

Witch Costume

When my oldest daughter was six, she wanted to be a "Cute Witch" for Halloween and wanted me to make the costume for her.

I decided that I would base her costume around a purple and green tulle tutu I had made for her pre-school circus day a year and a half earlier when she wanted to be a ballerina.


To make it halloweenie, I added some black tulle to the tutu.  We also picked up a pair of purple and black stripped tights at the local Walmart or Target.

I found a plain black witches hat in the dollar bins at Target and decided to dress it up a bit.  I purchased some black roses and purple flowers at Michael's and glued them to the hat and then wove and attached some of the green tulle I had left over from the tutu. In all I believe the hat ended up costing me less then $10 to make (and since then I have worn it for several Halloween activities and received several compliments on it).



I then searched the web for a capelet tutorial.  The one I found that I felt would work the best for this costume was on the blog Ruffles & Stuff.  


I purchased some perfect black spiderweb fabric at the local fabric store and  made some adjustments to the capelet to make it to fit a child instead of an adult. I added a large ruffle around the neck and a smaller ruffle around the rest of the capelet.  Lastly, I added some fun Black and Purple Halloween ribbon around the neckline so the capelet could be tied closed.


Of course a Witch Costume would not be complete without a broom and I found one at either the local Walmart or Target and then dressed it up with some purple and green tulle.  My daughter loved her costume.

Supplies used:

- black witch hat
- black and purple silk flowers
- green, purple and black 6" tulle rolls
- 1 yard Halloween fabric
- 1 spool of Halloween ribbon
- 1/2" elastic
- hot glue
- thread

No comments:

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...