Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Clown Ballerina Costume

When my second daughter requested  to be a Clown Ballerina for her pre-school circus days , I immediately remembered an ad I had saved earlier in the year (I liked the costumes in the ad and saved it for ideas in the future) from Hancock Fabrics advertising a costume pattern from Simplicity with a Clown Ballerina .


I went to work deciding how her particular costume would turn out.  I started by searching for a white leotard.  I didn't think it would be so hard to find a white leotard.  I visited the local Walmart, Target and  Shopko for one with no luck, only pink and black options.  I tried Dillards, Macy's, Kohls and TJMaxx, still no white leotard.  I then searched for a local dance store and found one several miles from my home, so I loaded the kids up in the car and headed to the Dance Place and found that they only had 2 available.  Lucky for me one was in the size I needed.  However, the leotard was a bit more pricey then I had expected, but since I couldn't find one any where else, I decided I had to buy it.  I also stopped in at a local Kid to Kid store for a pair of cute pink polka dot baby legs.

Next was purchasing the tulle for the tutu and some pom poms for the chest.  Since I didn't want the pom poms to be permanent on the leotard, I attached pins to the pom poms, and then pinned them on.  I made the tutu with green, pink and blue tulle.  I also made the neck fluff and wrist fluff with the same tulle as the tutu. I then completed the ensemble by making a matching pair of hair bows for her hair using the tulle and the pom poms.

She made such a cute Clown Ballerina and had fun wearing it for some Halloween activities the following year.

Here is the end result.


Supplies used:

-White leotard
- Multi pack of pom poms (includes several different colors and sizes)
- 3 rolls of 6" wide tulle in different colors to match your pom poms
- Elastic (I used 1/2")
- pair of baby legs or leg warmers
- 1 inch bar pins (for the pom poms on the leotard if you don't want them permanent)
- alligator hair clips
- hot glue

No comments:

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...