Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Stain Remover Tip for Sharpie or Dry Erase Markers

Am I the only mother who loathes sharpies and dry-erase markers when it comes to kids?  I find that my kids have ruined so many clothes with these types of markers.  Who thought that replacing all the chalkboards in schools with dry erase boards was the thing to do. When I was in high school I never had a problem seeing the chalkboard,  but during my senior year the school started replacing the chalkboards with dry-erase boards, and that is when I started having a hard time seeing the boards and had to get glasses.   Now that I have young children, I dread when my kids come home from school with dry-erase marker on their clothing.  I have had them wear brand new outfits to school, only to have them come home with dry erase marker on their clothes. The first time this happened I was furious, how was I going to get this out?  I put it in the wash (after trying the hair spray trick) and the stain didn't come out.  I was upset beyond words. my daughters brand new dress from her birthday was now ruined, permanently scarred by the ugly black mark!  I then decided to see what I could find online about removing dry-erase marker from clothing.  I finally found a website with a possible solution that I decided to try the next time it happened.  I didn't have to wait very long, and this time it was on my second daughters brand spank-en new Christmas dress, on Christmas (her cousin had received a small-dry erase board from Santa), I was horrified.  I was ready this time though, and hoped with all my might that this solution I found online would work.  To my amazement it did!!  I was so happy, I literally did a happy dance and sought out my husband to show him the results (I am a bit of a freak about my laundry getting clean, I hate spots).

So, this past Sunday, my five year old daughter was wearing a brand new white dress to church and comes out of class telling me how much she loves the smell of the sharpie she used to color her picture with.  As she is telling me this I see the black marker on her brand new dress - why does this always happen on their brand new stuff?  Once again I just died.  So I decided that I would use the same solution on the sharpie that I used on the dry-erase marker and to my amazement, it worked!

I just had to share this wonderful solution for all those Mothers out there, who are just like me and loathe the sharpie and dry-erase markers when it comes to kids.

Here are the things that I now keep on hand in my laundry room:

Here is the dress with the ugly black marker stain:

After blotting with rubbing alcohol and then scrubbing what was left with Murphy's Oil Soap:

Look at my perfectly clean dress, free of ugly black marker stain, making this Mommy very happy!!!

No comments:

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...